CLEMATIS VITICELLA HYBRIDSViticellas have small or medium sized flowers, and are generally very large, vigorous, healthy plants. (Unlike many of the large-flowered types that can be susceptible to disease and frost.) These two plants are still small, but bloomed in their first year for me:
- 'Blekitny Aniol (Blue Angel)' - a Polish cultivar with very pale silvery lavender blue flowers
|Clematis 'Blekitny Aniol' (Blue Angel) in its first year|
- ‘Etoile Violette’ - very dark purple flowers
|Clematis 'Etoile Violette' in its first year|
'Cardinal Wyszynski' (aka Kardynal Wyszynski) - a Polish hybrid with large red flowers
- 'Mrs Robert Brydon' - an herbaceous (non-climbing) variety with tiny pale blue star-shaped flowers and creamy yellow centers. It has very large, somewhat coarse foliage. I'm attempting to strap mine to a trellis - we'll see how that goes!
|Clematis 'Mrs Robert Brydon'|
- 'Bill MacKenzie' - a cultivar of a species from China, sometimes called Golden Tiara clematis. Has nodding golden lantern-shaped flowers and extra fluffy seedpods. A very large rambling plant which should eventually engulf my tall privacy fence.
|Clematis tangutica 'Bill MacKenzie'|
NOT A CLEMATIS
- Lonicera x heckrotii 'Goldflame' - My only other flowering vine is this fragrant flowering honeysuckle. It's supposed to be easy to please and long blooming in summer. Mine is currently growing fast in partial shade.
Posts about clematis:
Clematis Status - 2013 clematis season