Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Unexpected Guests

When I came home from work today, guess who I saw tramping through my garden? Four gigantic wild turkeys!
wild turkeys in the street

I've seen turkeys many times before in Wisconsin, but always in wilder areas like the Arboretum or large parks. It does seem odd to see them walking right down the street in the middle of an urban area.

wild turkey on the sidewalk
They were poking around in the melting snow - looking for tasty treats, I presume.

wild turkey wondering what I'm up to
They did not seem shy at all. I warranted a brief glare, but there were much more captivating things to look at among the thawing leaf litter.

wild turkey investigating the fairy house
My daughter had made a "fairy house" by this maple tree using sticks, stones, and bits of red ribbon. This fellow was not sure what to make of it all, but had to go in for a closer look.

big turkey
This guy was the largest. Once the others passed he stepped forward and poofed his feathers at me impressively - to make sure it's clear who's in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...